Sunday, July 7, 2013

Two Hopes

I live in California, and at least once I year I visit my parents on the east coast.  About two years ago, as Mom and Dad drove me to the airport, Mom felt compelled to tell me she had two hopes for our family.  One hope is that her kids love each other, and the other hope is that we are all happy.  

Mom passed away a month ago, and our family came together in common grief for the week of her funeral.  We cried in front of each other.  We ate together.  We talked for hours and hours. Afterwards, I realized that Mom's final act, of dying, brought our family closer together.  Her final act of life was to help our family love each other.

So that's hope number one.  

Hope number two is happiness. Am I happy? Well, that's something I'm still working on. I try to remember that life is short and the best time to be happy is now.  I try to understand how I contribute to my inner drama.  And sometimes, I feel that Mom is in my heart and she wants me to be happy.

1 comment: